Jim,

OMG what a great post.  You have so hit the nail on the head and presented
it so eloquently.

I believe good dancers who are community oriented (rather than dance gypsy
jaded, as Joelaine so brilliantly points out in her home page post on
gmail) are going to be just fine w/ the caller choosing appropriate dances
for the crowd.  Just 2 days ago I called a relatively new dance series that
vacillates between mostly experienced one month to having a large group of
first timers showing up the next.  This Wed. there were a number of first
timers who were retirement age and beyond.  I could have kissed all the
experienced people for their patience, understanding, and having a great
time even though the first half of the program was pretty tame compared to
usual.  I'm happy to say, the new people were having a blast and wanted to
do it again.  Phew!!

Paul

PS  I called several dances that night that have sat unused in my file for
several years.