Alan,

Thank you for this great question.  Situations like this are all too
common.  I see this as a problem of integration.  The core principle I use
is to remember that:

The caller always takes full responsibility for anything that happens in
the hall.

If first-timers are not integrated with the regulars, this is the caller's
problem, not the dancer's. At an open public contra dance, integration of
the hall can be seen as a primary indicator of how well the caller is doing
their job.  The opposite of integration is disintegration...and that is a
bad thing at contra dances.

So how can the caller assure full integration of the first-timers?  The
answer to that question gets at the heart of good contra dance calling, and
goes beyond the scope of this discussion because there are many, many
techniques, strategies, and skills that affect this complex goal.  Much of
it has to do with building the confidence of the dancers.

The ideal situation is that the regulars feel confident and enthusiastic
about partnering with first-timers and look forward to that as one of the
primary reasons they attend the dance.  The goal is to make dancing with
first-timers *more *fun than dancing with other regulars.

I think most callers start calling because they really enjoy teaching
dance.  This is all well and good.  But we need to remember that the
regular dancers enjoy this process as much as the caller.  One key to
achieving full integration is to empower the regulars to become leaders who
have a key role in the process of welcoming newcomers.  That means building
their confidence through precise, clear calling and structuring your calls
so that the regulars--as well as the first-timers--get the information they
need at just the moment they need it.

The caller has the resource of dozens of intelligent and helpful hands on
the dance floor that are more than willing to help the caller *show *the
dancers all of the moves.  My experience is that when the caller uses that
resource skillfully, the regular dancers respond immediately with boundless
enthusiasm.  The excitement of seeing your partner "swept in" to the
excitement of contra dancing is an ecstatic one.  We all remember that.
When other regulars see how this process is working most of them will,
naturally, want to be a part of it and are much more likely to partner with
a first-timer for the next dance.

Part of this strategy is to be willing to "step back" and allow the
regulars to take th lead role in this process.

I would like to hear how other callers use this strategy in their calling.

Greg McKenzie
West Coast, USA