A couple things:

First, I wrote a book on this subject: /Old-Time Dance Calling for Weddings, Parties, and One Night Stands/. Still available. I think there's only one "hands four" dance in the book, and recommended only for a group that really gets into the dance, and is ready for a bit of teaching. Otherwise it's whole-set dances, mixers, and fun dances.

Second, as Bill Olson pointed out: the dancing at weddings is not the main event. Make the dance serve the event, usually bringing people together, and honoring the honorees. Doing this with grace and humor puts people at ease; it makes people comfortable with each other.

I'd like to also echo the sentiment that one or three dances is often enough. Remember, at most of these events, our dancing is totally new, and most people will never come to a contra, square, ceilidh, or barn dance. For them time is different: they're caught up in the frenzy of trying something new and it stretches the seconds.

Susan Michaels is a wonderful, and extremely creative humorist. Her use of funny descriptive terms can be a great help if it fits your style. Use it!

Lastly, right & left: I have no problem with this, either. In a foursome, I'll often say, "right hand star, other hand star." No worries...

~erik hoffman
    oakland, ca