As a new caller I spend way too many hours preparing. I used to start weeks in
advance, just so I could read all the choreography books I have. Now I’m down
to 1 or 2 weeks. LOL. Where I’m spending most of my time nowadays is developing
a sense of “story” and “biorhythm” to the program, and not just a logical
progression of complexity. I look forward to getting it down to an hour!

By now I have been through my library enough and called enough that I have a
couple special folders of fallback easy/fun/low-turnout dances to rely on when
I need them. Having fallbacks makes programming simpler (thus faster) so I
don’t need an absurd flowchart. (Yes, I tried that once.)

> On Mar 13, 2018, at 17:28, Jean Gibson-Gorrindo via Callers
> <callers@lists.sharedweight.net <mailto:callers@lists.sharedweight.net>>
> wrote:
>
> My calling took a big leap forward when I started paying more attention to
> what I would say during the walk-thru, and practicing saying it out loud as
> concisely as possible (Lisa Greenleaf influence!).

I do this as well. Saying the teaching aloud, alone, helps me test and pare the
words down. Walking a couple positions as well helps me aware of the dancer
perspectives as well.

\Bob Peterson
http://contracorner.com/caller/ <http://contracorner.com/caller/>