I think you're correct about it taking between 4 and 8 beats (more like 6).

If you want someone to ask, I'm pretty sure Jane Ewing of Alabama wrote a dance
with this move in it.

I don't think that we need to be rigid about the names we use today, but I
suspect that historically cowboy loop was for four people and rip and snort was
for 8.  There are callers who have been calling longer than I have and can
correct me if I'm wrong.

Tom

Sent from my iPad