Eurostar train services canceled indefinitely
LONDON (AP) - The only passenger rail link between Britain and the rest of
Europe has been shut down indefinitely, Eurostar said Sunday, promising more
travel misery for thousands of stranded passengers just before Christmas.
Services have been suspended since late Friday, when a series of glitches
stranded five trains inside the Channel Tunnel and trapped more than 2,000
passengers for hours in stuffy and claustrophobic conditions. More than 55,000
passengers overall have been affected.
Hundreds Held During Climate Change Protest...
AL GORE & BOXER IN TROUBLE :
GLOBAL WARMING THROUGH WHITE LIES.
GREEN PEACE PARTY ARE OPERATING ON WHITE LIES.
Take back Al Gore's Oscar, 2 Academy members demand in light of Climategate
Australia is leading the revolt against Al Gore’s great big AGW conspiracy –
just as the Aussie geologist and AGW sceptic
Professor Ian Plimer predicted it would.
December 4, 2009
Speaker Thor Pedersen (Lib) "Scientists say: ‘We have a theory’ – then that
crosses the road to the politicians who say: ‘We know’"
No temperature rise
Thor Pedersen adds that the temperature has not risen in the past decade.
IN TROUBLE : GLOBAL WARMING THROUGH WHITE LIES.
Some panicked passengers stayed underground for more than 15 hours without food
or water, or any clear idea of what was going on - prompting outrage from
travelers and a promise from Eurostar that no passenger train would enter the
tunnel until the issue had been identified and fixed.
Eurostar runs services between England, France and Belgium. The company said
Sunday it had traced the problem to "acute weather conditions in northern
France," which has seen its worst winter weather in years.
Eurostar commercial director Nick Mercer said three test trains sent through
the Channel Tunnel on Sunday ran successfully, but that it became clear that
the especially bad weather meant that snow was being sucked into the trains in
a way "that has never happened before."
"The engineers on board have recommended strongly that, in light of further
snowfalls that are happening tonight, we make some modifications to the trains
on snow shields to stop snow being ingested into the power car," he told the
BBC.
A Eurostar statement said the fleet was already undergoing upgrades and that
more tests were planned for Monday. But a spokeswoman said she could not
guarantee that service would resume Tuesday.
A statement posted to the company's Web site urged passengers to delay their
trips or seek refunds.
The stoppage has already meant that about 31,000 people in Britain, France and
Belgium have had to cancel trips Saturday, and 26,000 more were expected to be
affected Sunday. With a huge backlog of passengers still building, Eurostar is
blocking any sales until after Christmas and Eurostar chief executive Richard
Brown has warned that services may not be back to normal for days.
For those seeking alternative routes between Paris, Brussels and London, the
winter weather was dealing out more bad news.
Nearly half of all flights out of Paris' Charles de Gaulle and Orly airports
were cut Sunday through mid-afternoon, with more cancellations forecast for
Monday. Belgium was also badly hit, with passengers in Brussels lining up for
hours in an effort to rebook flights.
Tourist Paul Dunn, 46, who was stuck in Paris, said he was looking for
alternatives but that information was hard to come by.
"We said: 'Can we get the train to (the French city of) Calais and the ferry?'
They are saying: 'We don't know what you can do. You can try.'"
It is a measure of the popularity of the 15-year-old Eurostar service - which
whisks passengers from London to Paris or Brussels in about two hours - that
its closure has dominated news in Britain.
European parliamentarians on both sides of the Channel have criticized the
train company as being irresponsible, while Britain's opposition Conservative
Party said the issue was a matter of "huge concern."
Brown seemed to acknowledge that there were some problems, apologizing for the
Friday's incident and the ensuing delays, but defended his staff.
"I'm not pretending it went well. I think it went quite a bit better than
people say," he told the BBC.
The problems - and passengers' complaints about their treatment while trapped
on board - could deal Eurostar "huge reputational damage," said Nigel Harris,
the managing editor of Rail magazine.
"They have promoted themselves as the 'green,' stress-free alternative to
flying and now they face a major technical issue that they need to get on top
of," he said.
---
On the Net:
http://www.eurostar.com
FOR CAMBODIA ?
HOW THE UN OFFICIAL DO THIS TO THE CAMBODIAN PEOPLE?
IT'S AN INSULT TO ALL THE KHMER PEOPLE.
THE UN tribunal MONKEY SHOW THAT OPERATES BLINDLY BY IGNORING THESE .
Feb. 27, 1982 : UN Commission on Human Rights meeting in Geneva adopted a
resolution condemning Vietnam's occupation of Cambodia as a violation of
Cambodian human rights.
Oct. 21, 1986 The UN General Assembly adopted a resolution A/RES/41/6, by vote
of 116-21 with 13 abstentions, calling for a withdrawal of Vietnamese forces
from Cambodia.
$ 60 MILLION DOLLAR PRIZE TAG ,TO ORGANIZE A MONKEY SHOW OUT OF THE UN
TRIBUNAL TRIAL , WITH THE VIETNAMESE KHMER KILLER , NAMED DUCH.Comrade Duch AS
PLAYER(aVIETNAMESE KHMER KILLER )goes to court on 24 Nov. 2009
In this photo released by the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia,
Kaing Guek Eav( a Vietnamese communist khmer killer ) , the former chief of the
Khmer Rouge's notorious S-21 prison, now known as Tuol Sleng genocide museum,
is seen in the courtroom of the U.N.-backed tribunal, in Phnom Penh, Cambodia,
Tuesday, Nov. 24, 2009. Also known as Duch, Kaing Guek Eav is charged with
crimes against humanity, war crimes, murder and torture, and is the first of
five defendants scheduled for long-delayed trials by the tribunal. (AP
Photo/Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia)
ANOTHER MONKEY PLAYER : KAR SAVOUTH .
In this photo released by the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia,
Kaing Guek Eav(A VIETNAMESE COMMUNIST KHMER KILLER ), right, the former chief
of the Khmer Rouge's notorious S-21 prison, now known as Tuol Sleng genocide
museum, talks with his FAKE Cambodian lawyer( ALSO VIETNAMESE WEARING THE
CAMBODIAN LABEL ,POSED AS FAKE "CAMBODIAN" OFFICIAL), Ka Savuth, in a courtroom
of the U.N.-backed tribunal, in Phnom Penh, Cambodia, Tuesday, Nov. 24, 2009.
Also known as Duch, Kaing Guek Eav is charged with crimes against humanity, war
crimes, murder and torture, and is the first of five defendants scheduled for
long-delayed trials by the tribunal. (AP Photo/Extraordinary Chambers in the
Courts of Cambodia)
ANOTHER MONKEY PLAYER COMES FROM FRANCE:
In this photo released by the Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia,
Kaing Guek Eav, right, the former chief of the Khmer Rouge's notorious S-21
prison, now known as Tuol Sleng genocide museum, talks with his lawyer Francois
Roux, left, from France, in a courtroom of the U.N.-backed tribunal, in Phnom
Penh, Cambodia, Tuesday, Nov. 24, 2009. Also known as Duch, Kaing Guek Eav is
charged with crimes against humanity, war crimes, murder and torture, and is
the first of five defendants scheduled for long-delayed trials by the tribunal.
(AP Photo/Extraordinary Chambers in the Courts of Cambodia)
_________________________________________________________________
Hotmail: Powerful Free email with security by Microsoft.
http://clk.atdmt.com/GBL/go/171222986/direct/01/
--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
"Cambodia Discussion (CAMDISC) - www.cambodia.org" group.
This is an unmoderated forum. Please refrain from using foul language.
Thank you for your understanding. Peace among us and in Cambodia.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
[email protected]
For more options, visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/camdisc
Learn more - http://www.cambodia.org