At 05:27 23.10.01 +0000, you wrote:
>Why not just put a glass about a centimeter in front of the film.  Dust on
>this glass will make a very diffuse shadow except possibly at very small
>diaphragm openings, so you are unlikely to notice it.  Conversely, the
>volume to be pumped is smaller than when you pump the bellows and the
>notmal swings and tilts have no influence on the pressure, or vice versa.

You also eliminate scratching of the glass with this scheme.

Continuous pumping is fully practical in a stationary setting and is
probably standard for the larger formats for repro work and various
precision operations like photoetching, where exact flatness is needed and
the film is rather large to support only at the edges, anyway.   In the
usual studio being connected to  a pump could be awkward, but if the back
design is good I suspect the extra trouble will be hardly disturbing.

Bob