Has anybody looked at the backlights for laptop LCD s for this job.  Older
models (laptops) can be picked up fairly cheaply, and maybe for free if
something else died than what you need.  You do have to be careful; the
power supplies for cold cathode backlights can deliver much voltage and
considerable current and could be deadly.   Typically these have multiple
inputs for power (in the range of 10 to 12 volts but could have other
values according to the model.), on/off (saves power when the laptop is
running on battery but is idle), and intensity.  You must work out the
connections or try to follow them in the laptop before finishing it
off.  The lights are moderately bright and dimming could be handy, yet is a
normal function of these sources.

Bob