I also have a Bessler 45MX enlarger. Basic test show just how terribly bad
the Bessler Condensors are. Instead of what you did I used the lamp barrel
around which I built my diffusion source.
I sprayed the inside of it white with high heat paint.

At the bottom for diffusion I used translucent plex (which is what I think
you meant by 'white') It is very even. However to compensate for the small
degree of light fall off I've been meaning to get a 1/2" thick peice of
translucent plex and file down the outside diameter to compensate for light
fall off, lens light fall off and the generally desirable slight burn in at
the corners of most B&W photos.

If you haven't checked yet test the lens, neg and base for aliagnment. If
they are as mine was--there is no possible way the enlarger lens stage was
ever parallel to the neg and base. Out of two squares of masonite I
constructed a sandwich adjustable lens board. The top square fits in the
enlarger, the lens fits in the bottom one. A little ring of window
insulating foam is in the middle of the sandwich and three screws hold the
whole deal together and allow for the correcting adjustments.

Will

---William Nettles

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Nettles Photo / Imaging Site  http://www.wgn.net/~nettles