John,
Thanks for the kind words, your other points are well taken. I centered
a lot of the design around making a box to fit around the camera, that
is the reason the base sticks out of the back of the camera.The design
got change halfway through and I decided not mess with the base at that
time. I have used it a couple of times now and agree that the base needs
a little surgery to lighten the load. I will post some pics of the base
when I lighten it a little. My long term goal is to make some kind of
folding field camera.

I took it out to a local cemetery where President Garfield's monument is
and found the flat bed design to be far superior to the monorail that I
built. Building these cameras is an ongoing project, but it is nice to
know that you made it yourself. People that see me using this huge
camera are just amazed, the thing is one giant people magnet. I spent
more time answering questions the other day than shooting.
Phil McCourt