I tried placing my flatbed behind  8 X 10. It worked very poorly.  As was
explained to me by several others before my test.

First, the sensor needs to be directly behind the lens , on the centerline.
My scans were dark at each end with a circle in the center.  So you will see
by looking at:
http://www.rit.edu/~andpph/photoforum.html
he rotates the lens / sensor assembly. Typical of panoramic cameras but also
required to keep the sensor centered behind the lens.

To find the drive hardware, the guts out of a scanner are a good start. Find
an old inkjet printer, we all have a couple of those or are found for
nothing in garage sales.

The other issue is exposure. The good news is that daylight is much brighter
than the lighting inside the scanner but out side light will easily over
drive the sensor.  The bad news is...look and the bulb. Notice how blue the
light looks?  That is because the sensor has maybe 1/2 to 1/4 the
sensitivity to blue. This is made up in the bulb having more blue phosphors.
You will need to color adjust after scanning.  If there is no bulb they use
LED's

Also since the sensors were not really designed for sunlight you will get
internal reflections off the glass cover and the sensors package as the
glass is does not have antireflective coatings.You can try and minimize this
by masking off the glass and just leave the slit over the sensor clear.

The above was for lens reduction CCD based scanners

As for specifically the 4 X 5 HP Scanner.  Sorry to say but this use's the
cheapest of all scanner sensors. About the only way the sensor in this unit
will work is scanning the image off your ground glass.  Because it already
has what is called a self focusing lens as part of the sensor assembly. It
uses LED's for the three different colors when scanning, and has a depth of
field of only 1 or 2 millimeters.  CRITICAL focus issue.

The lens is plastic.  It is really a relatively long tube for each "pixel"
so its resolution is not good.  About the only good thing I can say is that
it might be portable.

I could be wrong about a few points so if you have one just set it up behind
your camera, throw a dark cloth over the back to keep light out and start
trying to scan...even with the led's working. This will give some idea of
the issues. Start at f16.  If you are trying to scan the ground glass the
led's will need to be turned off .  Maybe not easy to do.