On Tue, 01 Apr 2003 15:36:06 -0800 (PST), Gerald Newlands wrote:

> I have also used it to photograph soil profiles in arachaelogical
> sites for the University of Calgary. [...]

Ahah! What a great application!  I know that David Brill, an expedition
photographer for National Geographic, used a 21mm Zeiss then a 15mm
Hologon on 35mm for much of his work for the very reasons you gave. (He
uses a lot of 8x10 and 4x5 now.) Yes, you folks have some strident
measures to work with in your field. If you find your F5.6 47mm
adequate, then maybe I'd best look at my build again. Thanks for the
input.