Hello,

I think that achieving something very near from what you whant is relatively easy using phantom types.
That avoid the boxing/unboxing in records.

type i16
type i32

module SizedInt:
    sig
      type 'a integer
      val  int16: int -> i16 integer
      val  int32: int -> i32 integer
      val  add: 'a integer -> 'a integer -> 'a integer
    end
 =
    struct
        type 'a integer = int

        let int16 x = x
        let int32 x = x

       let add x y = x + y
    end

then

open SizedInt

let bar =
   let x = int16 42 in
   foo x

must have type i16 integer -> i16 integer

Regards,

Denis Berthod