> Phantom types could be a solution but we must declare a new type for
> each possible size, which is cumbersome / annoying.

If you define the type system yourself, you can easily add a family of
type constants `size<n>` (with `n` an integer literal) to the default
environment of the type checker. Then you can define a parametrized
type `type 's sized_int` (or float, etc.) and instantiate it with any
of the size<n>.

One issue with this minimal -- in term of modifications -- mechanism
is that you can represent meaningless types such as `float size_int` :
`float` is not a size. The canonical way to handle this is to add
a kind system on top of your type system, that would classify the
types into different kinds. Usual types would have kind `★`, and sizes
would have kind `Size`. You would then restrict the `'a` type variable in
`sized_int` to be of kind `Size`:

  type ('a : Size) sized_int

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kind_(type_theory)

Remark: There is another useful way to combine kinds and sizes, which
is to use "sized kinds" to classify types whose memory representation
has a given size in your implementation. For example you would have
a kind `★` for types of one machine word, `★2` for two machine
words... This allows to keep parametric polymorphism in presence of
non-uniform representations, but it is restricted, less general, as
a given polymorphic definition would not quantify over all types, but
on all types of a given kind – unless you introduce kind polymorphism,
etc. It may be useful for typing low-level programs, but it doesn't
look like what you're looking for here.