On 12/10/2011 04:44 PM, Gabriel Scherer wrote:
Could you (or Sylvain) make a more precise picture of how exactly the
community could help in the Oasis-DB effort?

My opinion is that oasis-db+odb is good enough for wider use. I don't know what plans Sylvain has for the oasis-db server side, but what's currently provided is good enough to make many people's lives easier.

Is the priority to upload package (then maybe the warning on the
webpage advising not to do it seriously should be changed), or are
there other things we could help with, for example development
aspects? Who/where should we ask for advice/help when we have issues?

Any current work in packaging things for oasis-db will almost certainly be not lost by future updates. Worst case, if the database side of the server gets re-designed, all it has to do is re-import the tarballs and everything will be fine. AFAIK, only Sylvain can change the warning. As well, he's the one that knows the server side of things. I have experience dealing with some of its ... subtleties, but no ability to fix. For the client end (downloading, installation) - that's entirely me, and I'm happy to work with people on IRC (which I find myself doing often with beginners) or over email.

A few months ago we tried to organize an "OCaml packaging sprint", in
which in particular Hezekiah M. Carty was of great help. Do you think
we could restart a similar effort in the short future?

Probably more useful would be for people to try packaging the libraries that they use for themselves. I've not made grand announcements so that its users can grow slowly, without huge expectations.

It would really help, I think, if:
- there was a list somewhere of things other people can contribute

I've just started this wiki page: https://github.com/thelema/odb/wiki/SoftwareToPackage listing the status of many pieces of software under oasis-db. Extend.

- you talked more about the progress of the effort (I discovered
'odb.ml' by absolute chance a few weeks ago, while I follow almost all
OCaml-related information channels); if people don't know about your
work, they won't contribute

I was trying to share it with a small group to work out the bugs, and then share with more and more, kind of incremental adoption. We'll see if Sylvain's server can handle whatever load comes from this announcement.

E.