> Is it just me or is there a significant lag when using TypeRex in Emacs?
>
> This is particularly noticeable when deleting by using the backspace key.

Here, the lag was due to auto complete mode. Don't invoke it automatically.
That's what I have :

(add-to-list 'load-path "/Users/dbuenzli/.emacs.d/auto-complete-mode")
(require 'auto-complete-config)
(add-to-list 'ac-dictionary-directories
"/Users/dbuenzli/.emacs.d/auto-complete-mode/ac-dict")
(ac-config-default)
(global-set-key (kbd "S-<tab>") 'auto-complete)
(setq ac-auto-start nil)
;;;; I want immediate menu pop-up
;;(setq ac-auto-show-menu 0.)
;;;; Short delay before showing help
;;(setq ac-quick-help-delay 0.3)
;;;; Number of characters required to start (nil to disable)
;;(setq ac-auto-start 0)

Best,

Daniel