On Thursday 05 March 2009 06:22:28 yoann padioleau wrote:
> Come on, can you stop all those stuff about LLVM. The guy works in a game
> company with people knowing C/C++ for decades, with quite a lot of legacy
> code I guess, and you arrive with your "hey you should use LLVM" that
> almost nobody knows about.

Then they should learn about it. LLVM is already capable of generating SSE
instructions from higher-level code more effectively than GCC and,
consequently, several of my benchmarks run 2-4x faster than GCC-compiled C.

> Oh, and by the way, in which programming language is written LLVM ? :)

Sure. That doesn't mean we shouldn't build upon LLVM.

> > It doesn't need to be a JIT and, actually, HLVM already supports both JIT
> > and standalone compilation.
>
> So what you propose to his company is to switch from C++ to HLVM ? :)
> Be serious.

I suggest they consider using LLVM, most likely from their C++ to begin with.
This is a low barrier to entry: they can just compile their C++ using
llvm-gcc and write custom passes that perform the optimizations they want.
That is ideal for applications that are willing to sacrifice numerical
robustness for performance, for example.

http://www.ffconsultancy.com/?e