Hi,

In general, search queries in the web UI often do a "describe" of the
target, which basically indeed drills down into all the children (of
various relationship) of a target, so it knows how to display the
target more accurately (i.e. if it's a set, you want to display it as
a container with its children). So yeah, the large search response is
somewhat to be expected. However, in the context of the infinite
scrolling, I think we request only a window of the search results (of
e.g. only 1000 results), so there should be a cap on that response
size.

That said, if you're really talking about directories (i.e. if you
uploaded a directory with pk-put -permanode), that's a different
particular case. I've redone the web UI aspect for it, and it would
not surprise me that it is sub-optimized.

Can you clarify a bit more the use-case please, here or preferably in
a bug report (https://github.com/perkeep/perkeep/issues), so I know
what exactly to investigate?

Cheers,
Mathieu