There are a few places you could stash one.

If you have some class somewhere, say, MyThinger, you could declare a little
accessor like this:

class MyThinger
        class << self
                attr_accessor :things
        end
end

Then you would be able to write MyThinger.things and use it like a variable,
getting and setting it to whatever stuff you'd like to keep around.

The other simpler way to do it would be to just use a Global Variable. In ruby,
a global variable is any variable which begins with a $. So, you could use
$things, and it'd stick around. It's usually considered bad practice to use
them, but if you choose a descriptive name nothing else is likely to want to
use, there really is no justification for such fears.

—
Jenna