Okay :D after many many hours of testing I am settled for nginx and
passenger.
live at http://run.camping.io/

I did try every apache combination (with passenger, with cgi, etc. etc.) as
is simply not really working fine.
I tried some other obscure web servers too but apparently this seems to
work fine for now :) other servers would run the app as CGI or FastCGI. I
am not worried about speed just ease of deployment and nginx with passenger
seems to do the job for now. The alternative is nginx as reverse proxy but
as Jenna rightly pointed out it would spawn a lot of thin instances that
might or might not be used.

I did throw the sponge at Webdav on apache. It doesn't work as expected and
not with all clients. It seems more suitable to store quick files than
something else.
Can try tomorrow with nginx but perhaps it would be nicer to have a quick
camping hack to upload  a file etc. but you can't just automate it entirely
else you can have people running malicious code automatically...

I can do the shell scripts to create virtual users for nginx and dns.
Another option is to give a normal hosting for camping users. It wouldn't
be an issue to have 100-200 trusted users to have access to this e.g. we
can build a camping fronted  for users to apply with a selection e.g. their
github account, why they want the deployment hosting etc. and then once
approved we would give them a normal account that would allow them to
upload files on SFTP and may be even shell (which BTW is something you
don't have on heroku and other services. Of course this could be protected
for security or given only to active people.

How does heroku screens against abuses?
Anyway if some of you would like to be alpha users in this system let me
know, I will be glad to set you up as soon as I am done testing subdomains
etc. ;)
And of course if you have a better idea for a setup let me know.

Regards
David