Matt,

You'll have to ask the Murder crew about that, although a cursory review of
the murder implementation suggests that it doesn't honor copy_exclude (which
I find logical) - but I'm surprised that an alternative option doesn't
exist… Here's the offending code;
https://github.com/lg/murder/blob/master/lib/murder/murder.rb#L21 I'm rather
sure you could patch that quite easily, compare the relevant implementation
in
https://github.com/capistrano/capistrano/blob/master/lib/capistrano/recipes/deploy/strategy/copy.rb#L88(Hint,
I think what you are looking for is on #31 of murder.rb)

I'm familiar with PCI compliance, how does ignoring your SCM history help…
is there something in your history that aught not to exist anymore?

- HTH, Lee