I did some hacks to attempt to get different settings per-server, for the
case where I was deploying an app multiple times for different tenants on
the same host system.  I wanted to change the user, deploy_to, and
annoyingly, I had to have a different git_wrapper_path, because otherwise
they get deployed to /tmp, and conflict with each other.
Many would suggest this is an ideal use case for containers, and maybe I'll
back and do that, but at the time containers were just too immature on the
target platforms I cared about.
I'm not clear if you are trying to do something similar or not.

While I eventually got it working well enough for my needs, I what I found
is that the places where certain variables were set/initialised or
defaulted made it rather difficult.  I think that I have a pull request
lingering if you really want it.

My suggestion is to attempt to localise the things you need to do, and then
create a task that runs config/deploy/${HOSTNAME} to do the things you need
to do which are server specific.