I was hoping to get away from the plethora of hand written parsers that we
have scattered across multiple devices, languages, and roles (sensor, phone
apps, server backend microservices of various languages).

Obviously, I'd like to say "Here's the schema, compile it, and use the
code."  So, your advice to use hand-written parsers to the guy running on
HDLC made me very sad: :'-(

For my stuff, I basically have a small, fixed info header (version, type,
sequence number, etc.) with a list of int32_t data(probably stays under 1K
per packet) at the back.

Is there really no good way to use Cap'n Proto to do this?  Would SBE or
FlatBuffers be any better?

Thanks.