Answering my own questions again:

On Nov 3, 2014, at 7:55 PM, Dan Korn <dk...@pti.com> wrote:
> Is this just an issue of selecting a different font?

Yes, it is.  I changed the font on the buttons to not be bold, and the default
buttons now look correct on Yosemite, as do the tab controls.  It seems there's
something about the way PowerPlant implements the bold font where it doesn’t
anti-alias properly when the color is changed to white against a blue button
background (or even a dark grey background).  Anyway, the non-bold font
actually looks better, even for non-default buttons and other controls.  (Much
of the PPOB for this app was originally set up back in the OS 9 days.  Yes, I
know...)

On Nov 4, 2014, at 1:04 PM, Christoph Birk <b...@obs.carnegiescience.edu> wrote:
> On 11/03/2014 04:50 PM, Dan Korn wrote:
>> So what is the recommended height of a push button???
> I guess the size that Xcode/Interface builder uses at the default.

Yes, thanks, this is correct.  The recommended/required push button height is
20 (in virtual pixels).  I also found that wxWidgets forces button heights to
20 on Mac.

Still, it would be nice if the Human Interface Guidelines noted the required
sizes, rather than just expecting that everyone is going to be using NIB files.
 At least, it would help developers of libraries such as wxWidgets and Qt,
which allow dialogs to be created without resources, or anyone else who’s
creating controls without resources via Carbon calls such as
CreateRoundButtonControl.

The HI Guidelines used to have this information.  I found an older version
which shows what the button height should be, on page 227:
http://www.idemployee.id.tue.nl/g.w.m.rauterberg/lecturenotes/APPLE-Guidelines-2005.pdf

Anyway, I think I’m good now.  The bottom line, if you’re still using
PowerPlant on Yosemite, is this:
* Make sure all your push buttons have a height of 20.
* Don’t use bold fonts on push buttons or tab controls.

Actually, those guidelines are good even on Mavericks and older versions of OS
X.

Maybe this will help someone else.

Thanks,
Dan

P.S.  Sorry for being a bit cranky in my previous message.  I do appreciate
that Carbon still works on Yosemite.