Dear Joseph,

I do not understand Joseph's statement:
> The only closed source software in VistA is found in the medical imaging
> application and if you go with the Cache based version of MUMPS with the
> MUMPS layer too.

What I found in the readme.html on ftp://ftp.va.gov/vista/software/
is the following list:

>>The FOIA packages included are:
>>ACCOUNTS RECEIVABLE               PRCA    4.5
>>IMAGING                                        MAG     3.0
>>WOMEN'S HEALTH                    WV      1.0

and this sentence:

>>Under FOIA, certain records may be withheld in whole or in part from the
requestor if they fall within one of nine FOIA exemptions. Four of these
exemptions >>form the basis for the withholding of software by the VHA:
Protects certain records related solely to VHA's internal rules and
practices. Protects information that >>is prohibited from disclosure by
other laws. Protects trade secrets and confidential commercial or financial
information. Protects certain interagency and intra->>agency communications.
>>Therefore removed are copyrighted dlls, mental health tests, CPT codes,
medication instructions, and electronic signature hashing algorithms.

>>Copyright Holder   Mental Health Instrument
>>CPP                AOR......>>To install the CPT codes (which may be
purchased from the AMA on electronic media) for use within VistA, the
instruction manual for the conversion and >>routines may be found under the
folder "VistA\Software\Packages\CPT-HCPCS Codes - ICPT\programs\AMA to VistA
conversion"

>>The electronic signature hashing algorithms have been replaced in routines
XUSHSH and XUSHSHP.

So this means, that "imaging" is included. What is NOT included is the
internal VHA stuff, signature hashing algorithms, mental health tests and
CPT codes.

Right or wrong ?

Cheers

Alex