Hi Jason,

Donna's email nicely laid out our lab's perspective on several important issues regarding cortical landmarks and registration. I will amplify on a few aspects here. The issues that arise in considering whether the precentral sulcus may be a useful landmark are linked to the nature of individual variability and the relationship between cortical function and cortical folding. We wrestle with these issues regularly. While we don't claim to have definitive answers we do think that it is important to promote a stronger dialog among individuals and groups interested in the issues.

The challenges regarding the precentral sulcus can indeed be illustrated by inspection of individual sulcal depth maps from the PALS_B12 atlas. This can be done by downloading the datasets and viewing in Caret, as Donna described, but it can also be done using WebCaret without downloading data, as shown below.

The attached figure (if it gets past the filter) makes several important points, using dorsal views of the first four cases (B1.R - B4.R) from the atlas. A precentral sulcus is discernible in all 4 cases. However, in Cases 2 and 3 (middle 2) there is a big gap between superior and inferior precentral sulci. Moreover, the individual maps differ markedly in how the precentral sulcus terminates on the medial side (blue arrows). You can make educated guesses as to how the landmarks should be drawn in each case in order to maximize the correspondence of geographical and/or functional domains, but in our view it is very difficult to establish clear and objective criteria that have a good chance at improving the alignment of functional subdivisions across individuals.

Similar to what Donna proposed, you might consider starting by drawing contours for the fundus of the precentral sulcus in a group of hemispheres from our original PALS_B12 dataset (e.g., the four cases below). These landmarks from individual hemispheres can then be registered to the PALS atlas without doing a complete new registration - by using the appropriate deformation_map file (accessible from SumsDB; we can provide more detailed advice on how to do apply the deformation). Once you have done this, you can inspect how variable the position of the precentral fundus is by the standard PALS_B12 registration (i.e., using the Core6 landmarks).

If, on closer review, you still suspect that imposing the precentral sulcus as an additional landmark would reduce individual variability in maps of fMRI data (or other spatial data), then it is worth doing a full-blown analysis using the approach Donna outlined. If you do go down this road, we definitely urge that you do the side-by-side comparisons of the outcome of Core6 vs Connolly7 landmarks. It won't be a whole lot of extra work, and it will be the only way to ascertain whether the extra landmark helps or hinders in terms of reducing overall variance. Without parallel evaluations of this type, it will be difficult for us and others to assess the relative merits of different landmark-selection options.

I remain curious as to what types of experimental data you are trying to analyze and why you think that the precentral landmark might be a useful one to add.

Hope this helps.

David

<<inline: PALS_Cases1-4_Dorsal_SulcDepth.jpg>>