Thank you Volkmar and John!
Volkmar is right, I have both /usr/lib and /usr/X11R6/lib directories on my
machine. But I have almost exclusively 64bit libraries installed, no 32 bit
libraries.

This was actually my original question: whether there was a mean to install
Caret on a full 64bit machine, without having to compile from the source
files...

Given that this is not the case, I may go on and install the full set of 32 bit
libraries.

Does anyone know the name of the packages that need to be installed in CentOS,
e.g. by using the command 'yum', in order to obtain all the libraries required
by Caret?

Thank you again,
Marco

John Harwell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: Marco,

As Volkmar points out, Caret is built on a 32-bit machine.

Is there a "/usr/lib32" or "/usr/X11R6/lib32" directory on your
computer?  When we used Silicon Graphics computers (running their
version of UNIX called IRIX), it contained both /usr/lib32 and /usr/
lib64 so that both 32 and 64 bit executables could be used.  I don't
know if this is how Linux is setup.

You may want to try the website for your version of Linux to inquire
about obtaining 32-bit libraries.  RedHat has info at "http://
www.redhat.com/magazine/009jul05/features/multilib/".

John Harwell
[EMAIL PROTECTED]