Dear caret-users,

We have done an fMRI experiment in macaques and humans. The anatomicals of
macaques and humans have been fully reconstructed in FreeSurfer. The
functionals have been also analyzed in FreeSurfer/FS-FAST. We have
successfully imported some reconstructed surfaces (e.g. inflated surface)
and functional .w files into Caret using freesurfer2caret.sh (more
specifically, we have imported one macaque cortex, and the spherical
average of 10 human cortices into Caret). Now we want to deform/register
the macaque cortex to the human cortex in Caret to see whether the
functional activity patterns are topographically aligned across species,
and therefore test possible homologies (something similar to "Orban, Van
Essen, Vanduffel - TICS 2004 - Fig. 4"). I had some questions regarding
this analysis, and I would really appreciate any comments or suggestions:

1) It is recommended to do this analysis in the spherical space. We have
spherical surfaces of macaques and humans in the FreeSurfer format. Is
there any way to import the spherical surfaces from FreeSurfer to Caret?
Similarly, is there any way to import the flattened patches from
FreeSurfer to Caret?

2) For the macaque-human registration, should I deform my monkey's
cortex/hemisphere to the macaque F99 atlas, and my human's
cortex/hemisphere to the human PALS atlas, and then deform F99 to PALS?
Or, I can directly deform the monkey's cortex to the human's cortex
without using the atlases?

3) It would be great if you also refer me to the most up-to-date
documentation/tutorial describing the macaque-human deformation analysis.

Thank you,
Reza - Tootell/Vanduffel Lab

Reza Rajimehr, MD

NMR Athinoula A. Martinos Center