Christa-Lynn,

Two comments.

1) Working from the menu options, you can use the Surface: Region of Interest window to do something that I think is close to what you want.

Select your overall ROI. If, for example, you want everything except the medial wall, choose
Selection Method: Nodes with Paint;
Category: Medial Wall;
Select Name: Medial Wall;
Select Nodes
Invert Node Selection.

Then, with the metric file copied to have a *.surface shape file ending, load it as a surface shape file and view the relevant column in the main window surface.

Select Surface ROI: Operate on Selected Nodes: Operation: Surface Shape Cluster Analysis, and set the threshold where desired.

The Report column will show the surface area and the center of gravity of each cluster.

You said that you really want the maximum value of each cluster and the coordinates of that maximum. I'm not aware of a Caret function that does that. However, the request is a reasonable one, and if it is indeed what you want we can add it to John Harwell's to-do list (presumably better to operate on metric files directly). One important issue would be what to do about ties - it will not be uncommon for multiple nodes within a cluster to have the 'maximum' value. If so, should all of them be reported? (could be a long list) Or should the COG of all 'peak nodes' within a cluster be reported? Or some other sensible strategy?

It would help to get feedback on this issue and also whether other Caret users would find this to be a useful analysis function.

2) A separate matter is that whenever I encounter someone still using our 'old' Colin atlas, I take the opportunity to recommend strongly that you switch to the new PALS human atlas, which we consider to be superior on many grounds. For the background and rationale, see:

Van Essen & Dierker, Surface-based and probabilistic atlases of primate cerebral cortex. Neuron. 2007;56:209-25
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17964241

and/or:
Van Essen A Population-Average, Landmark- and Surface-based (PALS) atlas of human cerebral cortex.
Neuroimage. 2005  28:635-62
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16226584

For the atlas dataset and tutorial, see
http://sumsdb.wustl.edu/sums/directory.do?id=6585200&dir_name=CARET_TUTORIAL_SEPT-06