This ended up being a well-intentioned script doing a global replacement on a
coord & surface_shape file, but that replacement introduced non-integer
characters into the Dim0 XML attribute.  So, if you see an error like this:

>> BrainSet construction error: Expected '>' or '/', but got '[0-9]'.

Try "grep Dim0 myfile" and make sure this attribute is set to an integer (e.g.,
73730 -- not 74k_f99).