The script quoted in the post you linked specifically resamples the
surface, so if that is what you did, the output from it is the midthickness
in fs_LR32k.  Other surface types can be resampled the same way.  Caret5
will load .surf.gii files just fine, you don't need to convert back to
topo/coord (but you can, with caret_command -file-convert -sc ...).

Tim