Hi Adnan,

I have run into those kinds of errors, and it can be very puzzling/frustrating.

A couple of common triggers:

* If you have a non-english character set installed on your computer/login,
then this can sometimes cause read/write issues.  Removing the non-english
character set sometimes makes the mapper happy (if not the user).

* A more subtle one is that if I have previously mapped a paint volume, and
have the algorithm set to paint enclosing voxel, then I can have trouble
mapping a metric volume later -- until I change the mapping algorithm to one of
the other (non-paint) options.  The error message doesn't give you any hint
that this is the problem, but I have seen metric errors like the one you report
resolve under such circumstances.

Another thing worth trying, when the mapper is being a pain, is to see if the
problem persists with the command line version:

      caret_command -volume-map-to-surface
      caret_command -volume-map-to-surface-pals
      caret_command -volume-map-to-surface-roi-file

Let us know if any of these helps.

Donna