Could you elaborate on how you are using caret_command?

The Enable Medial Wall Override affects display, which is not applicable using
caret_command, unless you are using -show-scenes, in which case you would
select the medial wall paint column as an overlay on top of your functional
overlay, in order to gray out the medial wall.  It gets more complicated if you
want to exclude the medial wall from processing, but isn't too hard (search for
"select" in the caret_command full help output).