It depends on how critical it is the $metric_filename have zeroes in the medial
wall, rather than just look gray when you view/capture it.  For display/capture
purposes, you can use the existing PALS paint file:

Human.PALS_B12.BOTH.COMPOSITE_Areas_Functional_WS.73730.paint

… which has these columns:

AVERAGE-MED-WALL B1-12 RIGHT
AVERAGE-MED-WALL B1-12 LEFT

Then adjust your D/C: Surface Overlay/Underlay settings as shown here:

http://brainmap.wustl.edu/pub/donna/US/CT/YALE/medial_wall_gray.png
login pub
password download

That paint file is included in this archive:

CARET_TUTORIAL_SEPT06.zip
http://sumsdb.wustl.edu/sums/archivelist.do?archive_id=6595030

If you are doing analysis with $metric_filename that needs the medial wall to
be zeroed out, you can create an inverted mask like this:

caret_command -surface-region-of-interest-selection my.coord my.topo ""
cortical_mask_outside_medial_wall.roi -paint  medial.wall.paint column-number
MEDIAL.WALL NORMAL -invert-selection

But then what you do next depends on your analysis, and I suspect you care more
about the display.

On Aug 20, 2015, at 8:27 AM, "Yang, Daniel" <daniel.yj.y...@yale.edu> wrote:

> Dear Donna,
>
> Thanks! I am trying to map the functional volume in MNI152 (SPM99) space
> to the surface space (PALS) as metric. It is like the following:
>
> caret_command -volume-map-to-surface-pals  \
>                         "" \
> $metric_filename \
>                                 SPM99 \
>                         $hemisphere \
>                             METRIC_AVERAGE_NODES \
> $fMRI_vol_filename \
>                             -metric-afm
>

> Could you please provide an example to use “select” in caret_command to
> select the medial wall paint column as an overlay on top of the functional
> overlay?
>
> Many thanks!!!
> Daniel
>
> On 8/19/15, 6:38 PM, "caret-users-boun...@brainvis.wustl.edu on behalf of
> Donna Dierker" <caret-users-boun...@brainvis.wustl.edu on behalf of
> do...@brainvis.wustl.edu> wrote:
>
>> Could you elaborate on how you are using caret_command?
>>
>> The Enable Medial Wall Override affects display, which is not applicable
>> using caret_command, unless you are using -show-scenes, in which case you
>> would select the medial wall paint column as an overlay on top of your
>> functional overlay, in order to gray out the medial wall.  It gets more
>> complicated if you want to exclude the medial wall from processing, but
>> isn't too hard (search for "select" in the caret_command full help
>> output).
>>

>> On Aug 19, 2015, at 3:13 PM, "Yang, Daniel" <daniel.yj.y...@yale.edu>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear Caret Experts,
>>>
>>> In Paint Main, I can check “Enable Medial Wall Override” to gray out
>>> medial wall. Is it possible to do so via caret_command?
>>>
>>> Many thanks!
>>> Daniel
>>> MORXy6GkKdTAw3V58rxzUZGOKpGXPDgqUHY&m=h5-YV_ETDHGYBcqGmBeefwlj-rjDZnlPAYp