Some more information on the issue:

In the logs it shows what looks like a successful login, but the user is
not prompted for MFA-Duo when they are a member of the group, and on the
client I get the following error response from the CAS server.

INVALID_AUTHENTICATION_CONTEXT
The validation request for ST-*************** cannot be satisfied. The
request is either unrecognized or unfulfilled.

Logs:
WHO: klintholmes
WHAT: Supplied credentials: [klintholmes]
ACTION: AUTHENTICATION_SUCCESS
APPLICATION: CAS
WHEN: Tue Sep 20 17:50:24 2016
CLIENT IP ADDRESS: 0.0.0.0
SERVER IP ADDRESS: 0.0.0.0

2016-09-20 17:50:24,206 INFO [Slf4jLoggingAuditTrailManager] - <Audit trail
record BEGIN
WHO: klintholmes
WHAT: TGT-**********************************************vunDf0ZKib-137
ACTION: TICKET_GRANTING_TICKET_CREATED
APPLICATION: CAS
WHEN: Tue Sep 20 17:50:24 2016
CLIENT IP ADDRESS: 0.0.0.0
SERVER IP ADDRESS: 0.0.0.0

2016-09-20 17:50:24,239 INFO [CentralAuthenticationServiceImpl] - <Granted
ticket [ST-***************] for service [https://service] and principal
[klintholmes]>
2016-09-20 17:50:24,241 INFO [Slf4jLoggingAuditTrailManager] - <Audit trail
record BEGIN
WHO: klintholmes
WHAT: ST-****************** for https://service.
ACTION: SERVICE_TICKET_CREATED
APPLICATION: CAS
WHEN: Tue Sep 20 17:50:24 2016
CLIENT IP ADDRESS: 0.0.0.0
SERVER IP ADDRESS: 0.0.0.0

2016-09-20 17:50:24,401 INFO [Slf4jLoggingAuditTrailManager] - <Audit trail
record BEGIN
WHO: klintholmes
ACTION: SERVICE_TICKET_VALIDATED
APPLICATION: CAS