I finally got a chance to look into this :-)

I now have a working proof-of-concept. I managed to put the
authentication method in de CAS2 protocol response, eg:

<cas:serviceResponse xmlns:cas='http://www.yale.edu/tp/cas'>
        <cas:authenticationSuccess>
                <cas:user>netid</cas:user>
        </cas:authenticationSuccess>
        <cas:attributes>

<cas:samlAuthenticationStatement>urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:1.0:am:password</cas:samlAuthenticationStatement>
        </cas:attributes>
</cas:serviceResponse>

I had to change following files at the cas-server (I will add these to
issues):
 - SamlAuthenticationMetaDataPopulator.java
 - casServiceValidationSuccess.jsp

For the java-cas-client I wrote a filter to map the authentication
method to another attribute in the request. The latter will be read by
the Shibboleth IdP v2 authentication handler.

If desired I can provide this code as well.

Regards,

Philip