"I certainly hope that Bb is not sending a logout request to CAS when 'its'
session expires (not user initiated). That would single logout the user out
of all services (that participate in SLO) regardless of CAS settings ==>
unhappy users & confused administrators."

This topic begs the question: What does logout mean in an SSO world? Logout
of a single app or logout of SSO (all apps in the SSO session).

In an SSO environment if you logout of a single app but not the SSO
session, then if you go back to the app you get straight in because the SSO
session is still valid.

Now individual apps a can mitigate this by setting "renew = true", but that
somewhat defeats the purpose of SSO does it not?

We have 500 servers in our CAS service registry and 90 using Shib (using
CAS for authentication). CAS includes on prem apps and cloud apps (off prem)

As the CAS / Shib admin I cannot control how all the servers will react.
They may or not listen/respond to logout messages, heck they even maintain
their own session cookies for SLO/timeout.

It is a mess and has been since as long as my first IAM conference.

What does SLO/Logout even mean? Is it even possible to enforce any policy?
Let's not even address aggressive caching by browsers across tabs / windows
/ instances.

I gave up trying years ago, it is what it is.

Logout to me means the following steps:

1. Click logout.
2. Clear cache/cookies
3. Power off computer
4. Shoot computer with 12 gauge shotgun
5. Throw computer into nearest lake/ocean/river.

Without all those steps I don't believe you are "logged out".