Just guessing here, but you may be seeing a character set issue.  Java
internally uses UTF-16 I believe.  The ldap data may be coming back in
UTF-8 or some extended ascii character set depending on your ldap server
config, OS env variables, etc...

Just to be explicit, you might need to use getBytes("UTF8") or some
variation instead.

https://docs.oracle.com/javase/tutorial/i18n/text/string.html

-W