Will those override the ones specified in messages.properties?

For instance, if I want to override one specific message:

screen.success.success=You, <strong>{0}</strong>, have successfully logged
into the Central Authentication Service. However, you are seeing \
  this page because CAS does not know about your target destination and how
to get you there. Examine the authentication request again and \
  make sure a target service/application that is authorized and registered
with CAS is specified.

Do I put this in custom_messages.properties?

Currently we copied the whole messages.properties but I'd rather override
specific messages.