On 5/17/19 2:44 AM, Va Sja wrote:
Hello rbon,
I am already build, install, configured almost ALL variants from Github and
around. My problem is - after "successfully" configured the CAS-server I have
no glue about "what is the next step!?". The server works fine, but there are
no one line description "how it is possible to integrate this server with my
needs". I can read a lot of messages from Web-GUI, logs etc., but how to
configure my HelloWorld-Tomcat-App to be able use controlled Auth-service from
CAS - no idea. In most of cases - there are no way to use old documentation -
old links already overwritten by "new  releases".

The issue is that CAS is a complicated system solving complicated problems. The
key is to start small and build. You likened some of this to Legos before. Well
CAS can be the working Mindstorm roller coaster.
https://ideas.lego.com/projects/84c2ced1-52b6-4d8c-b26a-749e5e3984d0 There's
several protocols and each of those has several options. In Java web
applications alone I've used the CAS servlet filter, Spring Security, Shiro,
and Shibboleth SP. So it comes down to how you want to do it. What else are you
using for authorization? The most easy to understand and follow simple test in
my opinion is to do phpCAS. PHP is a pretty straightforward language that isn't
complicated by multiple layers or complicated security layers. As I spin up new
releases of CAS or attempt to use new features of CAS, I test against phpCAS as
it is pretty dead simple to get the first bit going.

The single "readable" (( from my view! )) documentation I found on
http://hacsoc.org/wiki/technical/cas.html. But it is from September 6, 2005!!!
OfCoz - nobody is able to reuse it - all important refs are already broken.

The latest "usable" public example for using CAS i found on
https://github.com/casinthecloud/java-jasig-cas-client-demo. But it is :
- at least 4 years old
- based on CAS 3.6.0-SNAPSHOT
- can make only login, NO logout

What? The project was updated 2 months ago. The basics on how it works hasn't
change, which is why some of it is old. The version number there is based off
of the CAS Java library, not the version of the CAS server. Grab the commit
before the current one if you want to use the latest release of 3.5.1. And I'm
not sure what you mean by it can't logout. It does that in the application.
With SSO, logout can mean at least three different things.

David Curry has described success story about his organization. But he has more
luck as me-  his team has access to original documentation with correct links
and examples. Now it is not exist anymore. That, what exist now  - just a lot
of bytes without sense, copy-paste from many independent sources ( sorry for my
extreme frustration! ).

So  - the main question - what was done with this project last 3-4-5 years. I
would name it "monetization". 8-)

The past 3-4-5 years has add an fantastic amount of new features. Those new
features frequently require a decent amount of knowledge to implement, so don't
worry about them. Things like the specific integration with G Suite are always
appreciated. The project moves a pretty good pace.

...Hope - I am wrong! Otherwise it is the time to "fork" the state 5 years old
and make it in the real "open-source-style" :((

Contribute.

@David
I want use  - just currently it is not usable!

My goal is really simple, and when I get the "help from community" like "goto
....", and it is get me back after 1-2 weeks to the same point, where I started
- something is wrong.
I will appreciate, when somebody can demonstrate how with help from actual
version of documentation step-by-step ( or even better with 1-2-3 "git clone" )
 I can build 3-user-2-roles-1-webapp secured application on the CAS-basis.

If it is not possible  - it will be also THE answer....

Kindest regards to ALL.

Follow: https://github.com/casinthecloud/cas-overlay-demo to get a CAS server
up and running quickly. If you are on Java 8, you'll need to checkout a
revision from the 5.x line as I believe CAS 6 require Java 11.

Follow https://github.com/casinthecloud/java-jasig-cas-client-demo to get a CAS
protected service in Java up and running. I had to back rev once to get back to
something that would launch for me. It's on a different port and should work
with the CAS running on 8080 from the server example before.

Start small. Try the CAS in the Cloud options above. Change it over to auth
against your user source of LDAP / AD. Try simple protection of something like
PHP pages, then from there worry about attribute release and using those
attributes. After you get that figured out, then decide how you plan to do
authentication and authorization in your application. Spring Security and
Apache Shiro work well for both of those in Java applications, and both
integrate with CAS pretty nicely. So lean on your security library to help out.