Matthew, you are fully right - there are a lot of much worse software as
well as documentation. And in case, when is the goal "getting as much as
more money for support" - it is exactly the right tactic -  to make
documentation unusable, and release as often as possible new releases with
more and more features, that will be selled as a next. But it is not really
the main vector for open-source, when you need weeks and some hundred gurus
for install at least "HelloWorld".  And you point me again to some " very
easy to follow guide " may be very informative but for my case unusable
documentation, when I need really to jumping over hundreds links just to
getting again the understanding - IT IS TOO COMPLEX TO UNDERSTAND. It is
exactly " very easy to follow " with a lot of links , but "absolutely not
possible to understand what this manual about. Sorry that I am scream -
otherwise I have to cry :)

May be we understand the words "follow", "understand", "jump", "start",
"finish", "result", "productivity" different?

The documentation should help to focus to the problem, and your link make
exactly opposite: it point me in next 2-3 sentences to jump to some another
Web Page. Nothing more. But I need to know steps to success: 1-2-3-FINISH.
And there are no complete story about "how to do install HelloWorld?". U
cannot push all of it into your brain in  1 hour, 1 day, 1 week, but you
need much more!

May be U are absolutely right: "  the documentation does in fact tell me
what I need to know ". And you a able to "getting started"! But it not help
to finish some minimal positive result.

Alternatively you have to pay for somebody else who know this software -
that is the only one Idea, what you have to get from such documentation.
Unfortunately...
...and it is not only my view. Fortunately! 8-)

Am Mittwoch, 15. Mai 2019 15:10:46 UTC+2 schrieb Matthew Uribe:

> [...]
>>> service management app. However, the difficulty I had at most steps of
>>> getting it all to work make me really want to use something else even if I
>>> have to implement parts of it from scratch..
>>>
>>> Only now, when wanting to post this message, did I find this helpful
>>> guide: https://dacurry-tns.github.io/deploying-apereo-cas/ Could the
>>> CAS team incorporate some step-by-step tutorial like this into the official
>>> documentation?
>>>
>>> These threads seem to voice a similar concern:
>>>
>>> https://groups.google.com/a/apereo.org/forum/#!searchin/cas-user/documentation/cas-user/z3BLJ0IQwZ0/wRybEK1LAQAJ
>>>
>>> https://groups.google.com/a/apereo.org/forum/#!searchin/cas-user/documentation/cas-user/qaAINooFi1s/D3k7Pr-7BQAJ
>>>
>>> I'm also posting the notes I made for myself during the process. I
>>> wouldn't have written them if there was something like this available in
>>> official docs, or I had found the unofficial guide earlier. I'm adding ****
>>> to points that took me particularly long to figure out.
>>>
>>> *Building*
>>> - Described here:
>>> https://apereo.github.io/cas/developer/Build-Process.html
>>> - git clone --depth=1 --single-branch --branch=master
>>> g...@github.com:apereo/cas.git cas-server
>>> - cd cas-server
>>> - git checkout master
>>> - ./gradlew build install --parallel -x test -x javadoc -x check
>>>
>>> *Config*
>>> - Default config dir is /etc/cas/config (may need to be created, given
>>> permissions) If you create application.properties in there, CAS seems to
>>> pick them up. ****
>>> - You can override in there any properties listed on
>>> https://apereo.github.io/cas/development/installation/Configuration-Properties.html
>>>
>>> *Keys*
>>> - keytool -genkey -alias cas -keyalg RSA -validity 999 -keystore
>>> /etc/cas/thekeystore -ext san=dns:cas-sso.local
>>> - Add 127.0.0.1 cas-sso.local to /etc/hosts
>>> - keytool -export -file /etc/cas/config/cas.crt -keystore
>>> /etc/cas/thekeystore -alias cas
>>> - sudo keytool -import -file /etc/cas/config/cas.crt -alias cas
>>> -keystore $JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/security/cacerts (default password to cacerts
>>> is changeit)
>>> - Add the following lines to application.properties in CAS config dir
>>> (with whatever password you set up for /etc/cas/thekeystore) ****
>>> server.ssl.keyStorePassword=qwer1234
>>> server.ssl.keyPassword=qwer1234
>>>
>>> *Adding JSON service registry (to get a sample client registered)*
>>> - Add line >>compile
>>> "org.apereo.cas:cas-server-support-json-service-registry:5.2.0-SNAPSHOT"<<
>>> to the file cas-server/webapp/cas-server-webapp-tomcat/build.gradle,
>>> replacing 5.2.0-SNAPSHOT with whatever version of CAS you have. The version
>>> can be figured out after starting CAS (is displayed). ****
>>> - Recompile the whole thing as above.
>>> - Add the following lines to application.properties in CAS config dir:
>>> cas.serviceRegistry.repeatInterval=10
>>> cas.serviceRegistry.startDelay=1
>>> cas.serviceRegistry.initFromJson=true
>>> - Add json file with service defs in directory
>>> cas-server/webapp/resources/services (the server seems to display which
>>> directory it watches after start).
>>> {
>>>   "@class" : "org.apereo.cas.services.RegexRegisteredService",
>>>   "serviceId" : "http://localhost/.*";, ****
>>>   "name" : "testId",
>>>   "id" : 1,
>>>   "accessStrategy" : {
>>>   "@class" :
>>> "org.apereo.cas.services.DefaultRegisteredServiceAccessStrategy",
>>>   "enabled" : true,
>>>   "ssoEnabled" : true
>>>   }
>>> }
>>>
>>> *Getting access to /status/dashboard endpoint *****
>>> - Add the following lines to application.properties in CAS config dir:
>>> cas.adminPagesSecurity.ip=127\.0\.0\.1
>>> cas.monitor.endpoints.enabled=true
>>> cas.monitor.endpoints.sensitive=false
>>>
>>> *Running*
>>> - cd webapp/cas-server-webapp-tomcat
>>> - ../../gradlew build bootRun --parallel
>>>
>>> *Simple client*
>>> - git clone g...@github.com:apereo/phpCAS.git
>>> - cd phpCAS
>>> - Copy docs/examples/config.example.php to docs/examples/config.php and
>>> edit:
>>> // Full Hostname of your CAS Server
>>> $cas_host = 'cas-sso.local';
>>> // Context of the CAS Server
>>> $cas_context = '/cas';
>>> // Port of your CAS server. Normally for a https server it's 443
>>> $cas_port = 8443;
>>> - Make the file docs/examples/example_simple.php accessible by www.
>>> - Navigate to http://localhost/phpCAS/docs/examples/example_simple.php
>>>
>>> *Service management app*
>>> - Based on https://github.com/apereo/cas-services-management-overlay
>>> - git clone g...@github.com:apereo/cas-services-management-overlay.git
>>> - cd cas-services-management-overlay
>>> - ./build.sh package
>>> - This creates target/cas-management.war, which should be deployed to
>>> Tomcat. Make sure Tomcat uses the same Java as CAS server. Otherwise, it
>>> won't find the SSL keys in the Java truststore. ****
>>> - On first run, it copies various files from cas/config into
>>> /etc/cas/config. You may want to update management.properties as follows,
>>> in particular:
>>> # CAS server that management app will authenticate with
>>> # This server will authenticate for any app (service) and you can login
>>> as casuser/Mellon
>>> cas.server.name: https://cas-sso.local:8443/
>>> cas.server.prefix: https://cas-sso.local:8443/cas
>>> cas.mgmt.adminRoles[0]=ROLE_ADMIN
>>> cas.mgmt.userPropertiesFile=file:/etc/cas/config/users.properties
>>> # Update this URL to point at server running this management app
>>> cas.mgmt.serverName=http://localhost:8080
>>> server.context-path=/cas-management
>>> server.port=8080