David,

Yes I've built Apache2 itself with SSL using the safe external OpenSSL as I"m trying to use with the module. When I run the totally to stock ./configure line I posted it gives me

checking for openssl/ssl.h in /opt/aa... yes

checking whether compiling and linking against OpenSSL works... no

checking for CRYPTO_new_ex_data in -lcrypto... yes

checking openssl/crypto.h usability... yes

checking openssl/crypto.h presence... yes

checking for openssl/crypto.h... yes

checking openssl/x509.h usability... yes

checking openssl/x509.h presence... yes

checking for openssl/x509.h... yes

Everything compiles but when I install and ldd the .so of the module it's linked to the system's OpenSSL lib's not the ones in my /opt/aa patch.

If I export export CPPFLAGS="-I/opt/aa/include" and LDFLAGS="-L/opt/aa/lib/ -ldl"

Then I get "yes" on the compiling and linking line but the ldd still indicates linkage to the system's version. I suspect the -ldl is needed as I'm dealing with the static OpenSSLĀ  libssl.a and libcrypto.a..

But results still show what they show. As I've mentioned I've had to do this in the past with other components and the right incarnation of environment variables always seems to work it's magic. Just wondering if I'm missing something obvious in this case.

Thanks

Colin