On Mon, 4 Nov 2019 at 12:01, Colin Ryan <col...@caveo.ca> wrote:

> David,
>
> Yes I've built Apache2 itself with SSL using the safe external OpenSSL as I"m
> trying to use with the module. When I run the totally to stock ./configure
> line I posted it gives me
>
> checking for openssl/ssl.h in /opt/aa... yes
>
> checking whether compiling and linking against OpenSSL works... no
>
> checking for CRYPTO_new_ex_data in -lcrypto... yes
>
> checking openssl/crypto.h usability... yes
>
> checking openssl/crypto.h presence... yes
>
> checking for openssl/crypto.h... yes
>
> checking openssl/x509.h usability... yes
>
> checking openssl/x509.h presence... yes
>
> checking for openssl/x509.h... yes
>

> Everything compiles but when I install and ldd the .so of the module it's
> linked to the system's OpenSSL lib's not the ones in my /opt/aa patch.

This is likely showing libraries linked to libcurl. Can you change the
output by setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/aa/lib before running ldd?

> If I export export CPPFLAGS="-I/opt/aa/include" and LDFLAGS="-L/opt/aa/lib/
> -ldl"
>
> Then I get "yes" on the compiling and linking line but the ldd still
> indicates linkage to the system's version. I suspect the -ldl is needed as
> I'm dealing with the static OpenSSL  libssl.a and libcrypto.a..

If you're using a recent OpenSSL (1.1), you likely aren't linking
against libssl and libcrypto at all. Removing or commenting out lines
13529-13743 of configure (master) will remove these checks.