i will try that, but getcas is one of the recommended ways to build the
overlay.  We're successfully using it for the other projects.  You can see
the doc on it here, it works well for the configserver and the regular cas
overlay template:

https://apereo.github.io/cas/6.5.x/installation/WAR-Overlay-Initializr.html