Ray, thank you for the response.
I did run the curl from the command line and it worked, specifying the cert
to use.  I then installed OOD and CAS on CentOS7 and it worked just fine.
So I thought I had it down to an issue with the libcurl version.  So this
morning I compiled an older version of libcurl on RockyLinux 8 and compiled
mod_auth_cas against that and it worked!  I then went to see what the
latest version of libcurl I could use before it breaks. The only problem, I
made it all the way to the latest release of libcurl and it is still
working!  Reboots of the server and still works. I then went back and
compiled it against the standard libcurl with Rocky and it still works.
Have no idea what changed over the weekend but it looks to be working now
without any issues.
Very confused, but moving on.