From: Jason Manley [mailto:jasonman...@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, 26 May 2009 2:03 AM
To: Cheng, Wan (ATNF, Marsfield)
Cc: casper@lists.berkeley.edu; Marc Welz
Subject: Re: [casper] Roach issue: Stale NFS file handle error is reported

There is a new version of uBoot checked into SVN. Please follow the
instructions at http://casper.berkeley.edu/wiki/ROACH_kernel_uboot_update
  for the update procedure. Note that you will need to reset your
environment and reprogram your eeprom for all the new changes to be
effected.

It updates a few things, but the primary change to the user is the USB
boot procedure. In future, ROACH will no longer boot off flash, then
look for a USB stick and pivot root. The user must explicitly select
the boot method (soloboot, usbboot, netboot) and update the initboot
environment variable appropriately to make it the default boot option.

In order to boot off USB now, you will need to copy the root
filesystem onto an EXT2 or 3 partition on a USB flash drive. It should
be the first partition on the drive. USB-powered HDDs generally don't
work because they draw too much power. Booting off USB is still a
little experimental. We have found that sometimes after a warm reset,
the USB won't mount the filesystem. Different models of USB stick
exhibit this problem to different degrees, but a cold-reboot usually
solves it. It is not a hardware fault, because uBoot can always read
it successfully. It appears to be a problems with the Linux driver.

Be sure to close all open files and do a clean shutdown (shutdown -h)
before powering down the board or you risk corrupting the filesystem.

Jason Manley
Digital Engineer
SKA-SA, KAT Pinelands office

Unit 12, Lonsdale Building