I promise to quit replying to my own mails...

I have figured out that the "copy base system" command copies in the base
system, but the cygwin permissions are all screwed up.  They are
d---------+ when viewed with a cygwin bash shell.  Changing the
permissions with chmod -R 777 "dirname" allows the toolflow to build a
good bit file.

I considered putting the above command in the matlab script, but I'm not
sure how to call a cygwin command from matlab...

I'll let you know if our system administrators can figure it out.

John