From: Jason Manley [mailto:jasonman...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, 30 October 2009 4:30 PM
To: John Ford; Wormnes, Kjetil (ATNF, Marsfield); Cheng, Wan (ATNF, Marsfield)
Cc: Dan Werthimer; casper@lists.berkeley.edu
Subject: Re: [casper] Fwd: Re: SPDO ROACH spectrometer

Um, no, this is probably a different problem. You are getting these
errors while using SSH/SCP, right? The hardware problem with faulty
PHY manifests as one or more of the PHY LEDs flashing on/off (there
are three red ones next to the PHY chip). If your link is stable, then
I believe the hardware is fine.

The "MAC" problem appears to be software related, and comes and goes
depending on the kernel build. It does not refer to the MAC address,
but rather ssh's Machine Authentication Code. Check out
http://blogs.sun.com/janp/entry/ssh_messages_code_bad_packet
  for some info.

Dave's made various changes to try'n fix it, and increasing some
software buffer has solved it for me. I no longer see this problem,
but it's probably been masked rather than solved. Also, you never see
it using KATCP, which is one more reason to use that method for larger
transfers.

WRT large (>1GB) transfers, remember that it will take a long time to
pull that much data off the FPGA. It does so in pages of ~4000Bytes at
a time. Also make sure you're using the latest kernel. We discovered a
bug in this paging system during the workshop.
http://casper.berkeley.edu/svn/trunk/roach/sw/binaries/linux/uImage-20091006-mmcfix

  should be good. I have never tried pulling such volumes over the SSH
shell, but it works fine with KATCP.

I will ask him to comment further.

Jason