Hi all,

new week, new problem.

I tried to boot my Roach board this morning after not touching it for about 1.5 weeks. This time however it didn't get to the uBoot prompt. It hangs at the memory test. Interestingly there has been no change from before when it did boot. Anyway; this is what is displayed:

U-Boot 2008.10-svn2212 (Aug  7 2009 - 12:20:58)

CPU:   AMCC PowerPC 440EPx Rev. A at 528 MHz (PLB=132, OPB=66, EBC=66 MHz)
       No Security/Kasumi support
       Bootstrap Option C - Boot ROM Location EBC (16 bits)
       32 kB I-Cache 32 kB D-Cache
Board: Roach
I2C:   ready
DTT:   1 is 26 C
DRAM:  (spd v1.0) 512 MB

I noticed that C-H Cheng had posted about this exact same problem in August this year.
(http://www.mail-archive.com/casper@lists.berkeley.edu/msg00870.html).

In their case the problem seems to have been solved by swapping memory stick and upgrading uboot using a JTAG programmer.

As you can see above, I tried using SW3 to force Bootstrap option C. This did not make a difference.

I have tried to swap the memory; could not find the exact same so got a 1 GB stick at a higher speed. This just caused the system to return a Memory Error;
<snip>
DRAM:  (spd v1.2)  1 GB
Memory error at 00000004, wrote 00000000, read 00000055 !

I tried to swap with an identical memory stick from our other Roach board. This did not make a difference.

Before I send this board back to be reprogrammed I was wondering if anyone would have any other suggestions?

Thank you for all your continuing help

regards

Kjetil