> Matt and I have had problems with BEE2 - switch with short cables. The
> lanes lose sync, and then take a fixed time to resync. Data is lost
> during this process, hence the losses are higher at higher datarates.
> With lower rates, it is able to buffer the data and resume without
> significant losses.
>
> FWIW, with default PHY settings (max preemph and swing), my BEE2 cable
> length preferences are as follows:
> BEE2 - IBOB: 1m
> BEE2 - switch: 3m
> BEE2 - Myricom NIC: anything from 1m to 3m.

I have a variety of copper cables I can try with various lengths.  We'll
see how that goes!  It never occurred to me that the cable could be too
short!  We also have a really short cable on the host to switch ports, so
I'll try adding to that one as well.

On another front, at the SC09 show last week we tried to use a zarlink
fiber-optic cable, and found that the myricom card would not drive it.  It
worked fine between 2 ports on a ROACH.  The network guy there said he's
seen that before, where a NIC couldn't drive enough power to supply a FO
transceiver over CX-4.

> I believe we can improve the range of cable lengths that work, but
> you'll have to tweak the PHY's preemph and swing settings.
> Unfortunately, on the V2Ps, this must be done at compile time. ROACH
> lets you do this at runtime, which aids tuning.

Sounds a lot nicer.

> I would be surprised to find that the switch is causing the problem. I
> am currently pumping 8Gbps on each of 8 ports on my XG2000C without a
> single dropped packet.

That's good to hear, as we are depending on that to be true...

John